In this video tutorial, I will show all of you how to do randomization of samples by Random Allocation method while doing a clinical study/ clinical trial. I will do this in Microsoft Excel Sheet so that researchers will not need any randomization software’s to do the work.
- I have created a Microsoft Excel sheet which I will use for this demo.
- Now, in 1st column, I will write Volunteer/ Patient numbers. In this demo, I am taking 20 patients/ volunteers.
- In 2nd column, I will write the groups in which I am putting those samples. In my case either it is a Test group or a placebo group.
- I am giving 1st 10 samples as placebo and next 10 as Test group.
- In 3rd column, I will be adding randomization Formula, which is between 0-1.
- Insert a function called “RAND” in the 1st row of 3rd
- Excel has added a random number to the cell.
- Now I will add random numbers in an entire column.
- As you can see, all the calls in 3rd column are now random numbers.
- Now I will filter column 2 and column 3 as we want to randomise column 2.
- Now you can see, top row header has a filter option.
- Now I will filter column 3 content as ascending or descending to randomize it.
- Now you can see that all the content in column 2 is now randomized.
- Now all the volunteer/ patient numbers are randomized to either test or Placebo groups.
- Thank you for watching this video.
In the tutorial, I have only included 2 groups namely Placebo and Test. Students/ Researchers can include any number of groups they want. This method can be used to randomize patients/ volunteers in Placebo, Drug, Standard Treatment etc groups. If there are 3 groups then 1/3rd of the sample has to be given any of the group names and then randomized.